Our team relay covers the same course as the marathon race. The big difference is that a minimum of 3, and maximum of 5 runners split the 26.2 miles between them. The marathon relay event is open to teams from all walks of life and abilities – corporate, families, friends, women, men, open…if you can organize a team of 3 to 5 runners or walkers, then we want you to come and take part! This event is a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society – all they ask is that you raise a minimum donation of $100.00 per team.
Check out the American Cancer Society Relay for Life for full details of the charity, the cause, and how to fund raise. specific event and fund raising here.
Marathon Team Relay Info
- Registration is ONLY by means of the marathon team relay entry form, download here (PDF). Please print form – one form required for each team member . The team captain to mail in all completed team forms – one for each runner or walker – 3-5 in total.
- Entry fee is $165.00 per team of 3-5 people before or on 4/30/13; $175.00 per team between 5/01/13 and 5/31/13; $190.00 per team from 6/1/13 to race day. The fee is the same for teams of 3, 4 or 5.
- Registration IS possible at registration on Saturday June 15. Full team payment of $190.00 is required, plus at least $100.00 minimum fund raising contribution to American Cancer Society.
- Registration IS NOT possible on race day Sunday June 16
- Postal registration for the team relay closes on June 9 2012
- Prize awards for top male team, top female team, top open team, and top corporate team
- All races start and end in Estes Park at the public school facilities (elevation 7,550 feet). They take place on paved, professionally certified courses that are challenging and beautiful.
- The course is marked with spray painted directional arrows on the roads and trails , and yellow directional signs when there are turns. In critical spots there will also be course marshals.
- See relay course map here.
Marathon Team Relay course description:
Legs are rated on degree of difficulty, with one star (*) as the least difficult, and five stars (*****) as the most difficult. All teams should be able to complete the course within an average of a 13 minute-per-mile pace. The course has a 7 hour time limit for all participants on the marathon course.
Note that changeovers can only take place at the designated locations. If your team is 3 or 4 runners or walkers, please combine legs listed below to coincide with the change over locations, and cover the 26.2 miles for the whole team
Leg 1 – 5.5 miles ***** gradual long climb
Start line, Fish Creek Road to Cheley Camp parking area. Note, exchange point is past the aid station.
Leg 2 – 4.75 miles *** initial short steep hill; long descent into town
Fish Creek Road up to Hwy 7, down to Mary’s Lake Road, steep descent to Riverside Drive, exchange on Elkhorn Avenue near Dairy Queen
Leg 3 – 5.1 miles ** mostly flat, one hill
Elkhorn Avenue, around Lake Estes, up Hwy 34 to The Reserve, exchange at Elk Trail
Leg 4 – 3.75 miles **** gradual long climb
Paved residential neighborhood initially, then climb up Dry Gulch Road and exchange at end of road in car park area on right
Leg 5 – 7.0 miles *** rolling descent into town, Stanley village, onto finish
Very scenic segment running back into town. Initially road then take bike path on south side of lake and finish at the High School track.
New for 2013! You can purchase official Estes Park Marathon race merchandise online, order before May 29, and collect on race day, June 16! There are quality options for both women and men in a variety of styles – see more details on our 2013 race merchandise here